Tuesday, March 27, 2012

CASE Statement

Hello

How would I go about using the CASE statement with the WHEN and THEN statements with a scenario like this:

======================================--
CASE PhoneNumber

WHEN 9990000000 THEN City1
WHEN 8030000000 THEN City2

ect...
==============================================

What I want to do is check only the first 3 digits - just the 999. There would be 4 different possible first 3 digits:

999, 997, 998, and 803. Each one of these first 3 digits of the 10 digit phone number identifies a city

What I would like to do is iether use a wild card - like this:

CASE PhoneNumber
WHEN LIKE (999%) THEN City1

OR try something like taking the first 3 numbers and assigning it to a variable then doing the CASE statrement like this:

TAKE PhoneNumber 3 and asign it to CHK_NUM

CASE CHK_NUM
WHEN '999' THEN 'City1'

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated

Thanks!If you know the solution, what is the problem then.|||I don't know the solution. My examples do not have the correct syntax - that's what I'm looking for. What would the correct string look like for the solution?

Thanks|||OK - Never Mind, you were right, I had the solution - it works!

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment